The University will reimburse faculty, staff, students, and non-UCSD travelers for allowable expenses incurred when traveling on official University business.
Before booking any travel, your trip should be preauthorized by creating an event number. An event number allows you to book airfare through Connexxus, UC's travel program and charge the expense directly to your fund source rather than pay out of pocket. Other expenses such as hotel and registration can also be pre-paid via the event number rather than using a personal credit card.
All faculty, graduate students and staff should fill out the Travel reimbursement form [PDF] and submit to Fiscal Assistant Susan Taniguchi. Receipts must be submitted to the Fiscal Assistant before the payment will be authorized. All travel receipts are due within 21 days of trip completion.
- UCSD's policy on required Travel Receipts
- Meals for Short-Term Domestic Travel
- Lodging for Short-Term Domestic Travel
- Per Diem Info for Foreign Travel or Long-Term (30+ days) Domestic Travel
Additional information on UCSD Travel:
- UCSD Travel
- UCSD Travel Card Information
- Connexxus - UC's travel program, for booking University travel.
- Before using Connexxus, UCSD faculty members, staff and students can set up a Traveler profile on line
- All approved UCSD travelers planning a trip outside California, must register for UC Travel Accident Insurance
- Complete the online form here
How do I pay for pre-conference expenses such as registration and hotel deposit?
If you have to pre-register for a conference or hotel stay more than 21 days in advance of your travel, you have a few options for payment.
- You can pay on a personal card. (You will not be reimbursed until after the trip.)
- You can request UCSD submit a check on your behalf. Please notify Fiscal Assistant Susan Taniguchi at a minimum of 30 days in advance before the check is due.
- You can put the registration or hotel deposit on your UCSD travel card. Please notify Susan Tangiguchi if you do this so late fees are not incurred.
- You can put the registration on your express card or the departmental express card - preferred method.
For Faculty who frequently travel, it is recommended that they apply for a UCSD Travel Card. To apply, please download the application below and submit to Fund Manager Kristen Walker.
Intercampus Exchange Program for Travel
The Intercampus Exchange Program for Travel program provides reimbursement for airfare or mileage only for Academic Senate members to travel to other UC campuses for research. It is not to be used to attend seminars, conferences and university-wide UC meetings. Reimbursement will not be approved unless the name of the faculty consulted and title of the research component/project is recorded on the travel reimbursement form. Funding for one to two trips per year up to available funds.
General Campus Funding for Travel to Scholarly Meetings
The General Campus Funding for Travel to Scholarly Meetings funding program provides reimbursement for airfare expenses for Academic Senate members.
All UCSD Graduate Students must complete the following additional steps:
- Prior to taking the trip, complete the UCSD Student Certification for Business-Related Travel form. Be sure to check the first box "Directly supports the faculty/PI project or research program" or the second box "Presenting at a conference." If second box is checked, attach a copy of the program listing your name and UCSD. Obtain your faculty advisor's signature.
- Submit receipts showing proof of purchase to Susan Taniguchi. Original receipts or electronic submissions are acceptable.
Prior to submitting any reimbursement request, please note what is and what is not reimbursable by referring to the Resources page under the "Research and Travel Funds" section .