Admission to the graduate program in sociology is open to students with excellent undergraduate records in any field. Some previous work in sociology or the social and behavioral sciences is advisable, but not required. A bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university is a prerequisite for admission to the graduate program.
The online application system is accepting applications beginning 08/27/15
Applications must be submitted by January 7th, 2016.
- Scanned copies of academic transcripts for each post-secondary institution attended, including certification of degrees, submitted electronically in pdf format. Certified hard-copy original transcripts will be requested/required upon acceptance of graduate admission.
- Official scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE) general test of verbal, quantitative, and analytical aptitudes are required for admission by the Department of Sociology. Scores are generally submitted 4-6 weeks after the test is administered, so please be mindful of the deadline. Examinations and information regarding this exam can be found at Educational Testing Service, or at the GRE website. Applicants should request that official scores be sent directly to the Department of Sociology at the above university address, or institution code 4836, department code 2102.
- Scores on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). Required only of applicants whose native language is not English, or whose undergraduate education was conducted in a language other than English. Official written verification of test scores is required. Arrangements for taking the TOEFL may be made through the nearest United States Embassy or on the Web http://www.toefl.org/. Please request scores to be sent to the department address above, or UCSD's institution code 4836. Our department code is 2102.
- Writing Sample Your sample should be academic or scholarly in nature, such as a course term paper, published research, journal article submission, thesis chapter, presented paper, or report. It should be no more than 30 pages in length and uploaded in pdf. format.
- Statement of Purpose (2500 word limit).
Supporting materials or documents that cannot be submitted online should be mailed to the Department of Sociology:
University of California, San Diego
Department of Sociology
9500 Gilman Drive 0533
La Jolla, CA 92093-0533
Please note: Incomplete files will not be considered. Applicants are responsible for overseeing that all materials (application, GRE scores, TOEFL scores, letters of recommendation, transcripts, and writing sample) are received by the deadline.
All students accepted for the graduate program must register for the fall quarter. Applicants wishing to defer for a year must complete and return to the Office of Graduate Studies, the Admissions Reply Form (email sent at the time of admission) stating their intent. Students requesting to have admission deferred are not guaranteed acceptance or financial assistance for the following year. Their files will be evaluated along with new applications for that year.
*Due to the Winter holiday closure of the office (December 20th - January 2nd), we will not be able to respond to inquires regarding the arrival of supporting documents until we reopen on January 5th.